Wednesday, March 18, 2009

rule of thumb... 21 days


I've been told that the rule of thumb is that it takes 21 days to break a bad habit. The habit that I'm working on is Grace's, and it's been happening since birth... thumb sucking. She always loved her thumb and wasn't stopping without intervention. After scouring the internet about 6 months ago, I decided to try Mavala STOP. It's a clear polish that you paint on the nail. It's terribly bitter - trust me, I've tried it myself - and people swear by it. It definitely worked on Grace, although I wasn't the most consistent about applying it, so she fell off the wagon again and again. At her last dental appointment, I found out that she has already caused a high palette that may require treatment in the future. The dentist also told Grace that "if you're old enough to come to the dentist, you're too old to be sucking your thumb." Grace told me very assertively, "Mommy, I have DECIDED! I am NOT going to suck my thumb ANYMORE!

For 21 days now, I have painted her thumbs everyday. She doesn't mind it anymore; a non-thumb-sucking friend of hers even asked to have her own thumbs painted when she was over. Hopefully, the "rule of thumb" will hold true for this thumb! I'm not taking any chances though (we've come too far!), I'll keep painting for a while longer! :)

1 comment: