Saturday, January 24, 2009

a birth story

So with each baby you go a little faster...

I checked into my hospital room at about 6:00 a.m. on Thursday. I started at 3cm, a relief since at my last check 8 days before I was still at 1cm. The nurses started my IV and the pitocin at around 7:00a.m.. My doctor came in and explained that he had a hysterectomy to perform that morning and he would be out of commission for about 2 hours. He decided to wait until he was out of his surgery to break my water.

When he returned, I had progressed to 5cm. My doctor gave me the epidural and broke my water. It was 10:48 a.m. That's when it really got wild... I started having really strong contractions back to back... ouch!! I began to feel pressure and let the nurse know. She checked me again and I was dilated to 9+... ready to start pushing. The epidural had made me feel a good bit better but it surely wasn't the total relief I had with Grace... definitely a good bit of pain! The nurse started taking about trying to do a "block" to tone down the pain, but the doctor thought "the best thing to do at this point is to just get it over with!"

I pushed though 2 short contractions that were back to back and then rested. The next contraction pushed Marion out without assistance from me... yes, they were that strong!

Marion was born at 11:19a.m., just 31 minutes after he broke my water at 5cm. It was all over so fast and then I was holding my beautiful new baby girl. My nurse told me that I would have been in big trouble had my water broken at home... scary thought! I'm so thankful for a fast and complication free delivery.

No comments: