Friday, November 14, 2008

and we've been shredding paper ever since

On Wednesday, Grace had her visit from our Parents as Teachers contact, Jasmine. A main focus of the visit was sorting, which Grace can do quite well. Jasmine then pulled out an old magazine and a pair of scissors and asked Grace to go through it and cut out pictures of food.
I became slightly confused/slightly panicked... Scissors?? And cutting out specific shapes?? I don't know if Grace can do that! Really, I don't think she can! It was the first time Jasmine had ever asked Grace do do something that I didn't think she could do, and it really bothered me.
Grace isn't very able with scissors, and I can totally take the blame. Honestly, I've discouraged them. Not only do they create quite a mess, but a few months ago she sliced a hole in the dress she was wearing before I could stop her. We do lots of crafts around here, plenty of painting, coloring, glue and chalk; but no, scissors are not my favorite.
So I asked Jasmine, "Should Grace be able to cut out shapes from a magazine??" She responded with a quick and sure "Yes," leaving me no room for doubt.
Well, needless to say, I've been feeling pretty guilty and our house has looked like this since Wednesday...
I've been working with Grace on how to hold the scissors correctly and how to cut out specific shapes. Maybe she can be back on track by the time she turns 3! ;)

No comments: