Wednesday, November 19, 2008

the school party

Last week Grace had this invitation in her folder...

Her first school party- and notice the part that says "entertainment provided by your preschooler!" Grace and I were both very excited!

I promised Grace I'd bring a cookie cake...

Hmm, looks like "Thanksgiving" has become 2 words! It's crossed my mind to submit this to the Cakewrecks Blog, but I decided that it's the whole story of this cake that gets me so hysterical!

...little did I know what a total pain that would be! I ordered it the day before from the cookie place at the mall and was told it would be ready by 10am yesterday. I arrived at 10, it was still cooling and undecorated. I was told to come back at 10:30, that it would surely be ready by then. I approached the counter again at 10:30 and received this explanation for why my cake still wasn't ready...

(while pointing her finger at her about 7 year old son) "HE decided to be bad at school this morning, so I had to go pick him up, you're cake is almost ready."

Yeah, blame the kid! I'll spare you the details of how many teeth were in the mouth that these words came out of.

At 10:45, I had my cookie cake in hand and headed to the preschool. When I walked into the building there was a video playing of the children at music class last week practicing for the big day. The preschool director explained that they taped it to show us that the kids really did know their song and dance routines, just in case they underperformed under pressure! How'd they know!? The first song was "Gobble Gobble Turkey Talk," which Grace did many stunning renditions of for me at home! I'll give her her fair credit, she did sing out loud, which was more than most of her classmates did, but the enthusiasm wasn't at an all time high!

After the performance, it was time to eat. We had cornbread muffins with butter that Grace's class had made during the week! Supposedly, they added salt to whipping cream and shook it, tossed it and rolled it until it made butter... at least that's the story I got! It was actually really tasty!
Grace enjoying a cupcake!

Grace and I both had a wonderful time at her first school party. I'm looking forward to Christmas!

No comments: