Tuesday, November 11, 2008

ouch!

Grace visited the doctor today for her flu vaccine. The mist version seems to be the thing this year, I actually don't think any of her friends got the shot. I let Grace choose which she wanted, a flu shot, or flu mist sprayed into her nose. She overwhelmingly went for the shot! She had been bragging to everyone for 2 days that she was getting a flu shot and today was the day.

First came the nurse, who whispered, "You want the mist, right?"

"No, actually, I gave her a choice and she really wants the shot."

"Really!? Well that's a first!"

Grace was sticking to her guns, and when the nurse returned with the syringe, Grace pulled up her sleeve and confidently told Ms.Nurse exactly where she could put it! Then it happened.... the sting... Grace had a look of total shock on her face. She winced in pain, but there were no tears or crying. Poor baby, it wasn't as glamorous as she had thought. The whole way home she repeated, "I don't like my flu shot. My flu shot hurt." She wasn't even amused by the round purple Tweety Bird band-aid, which she would have thought very cool under other circumstances. I did ask her if she would like to get the spray in her nose next year instead of the shot... the answer was "I don't want nose spray and I don't want shot." Well, she has a year to decide.

Grace waiting for her flu shot, still very excited about it!

No comments: