Tuesday, December 23, 2008

a little girl named "mommy"

Some nights we're running late for bedtime. On these nights I often "tell a story" instead of "reading" one. In my mind it's shorter and easier for those nights we're racing to sleep. My stories usually start out, "Once upon a time there was a little girl named Grace..."

Grace often tells me a story next, and hers usually begin, "Once upon a time there was a little girl named Mommy..."

Here is my best recollection of tonight's story...

"Once upon a time, there was a little girl named Mommy, and she loves pink, and she pick some flowers, for her garden, and I say 'I love pink too!', and that's what I say, and Mommy says 'I love you Gracie,' and I say 'I love you Mommy,' and that's what I say! The End! That story was when you were a little girl, Mommy!"

I think she knows that with stories like that I'll lay there all night listening... putting off the dreaded bedtime even longer.

No comments: