Wednesday, December 10, 2008

telling stories at bedtime

We moved Grace to her big girl bed at about 18 months, and it couldn't have been easier. We had over a year of perfect bedtime manners- she stayed in bed all night, and would call me in the morning when she woke up. I guess it couldn't last forever. Grace's little head poking out from behind her bedroom door has become quite a common sight at 9:00 or 9:30 at night.... and she's full of stories about why!

the most popular...

"I need to go potty!"

Yes, sometimes this one is legitimate, but other times, she expects to be able to hang out perched on the toilet indefinitely. I guess in her mind it beats laying in bed!

"I need fresh water, this water is old!"

Yes, this one sounds rather silly, but it's a quick fix, so I oblige.

"I heard that noise, and that noise WOKE ME UP!"

This one is said in a very disgusted and appalled tone of voice, I guess to make it sound more believable that she's really upset about her disturbed sleep.


Last night I wasn't here at bedtime, I had a girls' night out, and it was up to the babysitter to get Grace to sleep. I really didn't think Grace would be bold enough to tell all of these stories to the sitter... I was wrong.

On top of the usuals, she had a new one...

(while pointing to an imaginary "splinter" on her finger)
"I just got a hurt, that splinter crawled in my bed and got in my hand!"

So now she's coming up with imaginary injuries to avoid sleep! I talked to her about it this morning and I got this explanation...

"Mommy, I was just seeing if you were coming home."

... at least she missed me!

1 comment:

Annie Kellum said...

Sounds like she's a lot like her cousin Molly:)